A new favourite dishI absolutely love Everyday Food magazine from Martha Stewart. We have found some absolute gems and this receipe is from the December 2008 magazine. It's yummy! Completely vegetarian. Oh, did I forget to mention that it was fast? Yep—as long as you are organized (not always the case for us)—you can have this ready in under half an hour. I copied the recipe from the web site, but here's the link if you'd like it.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups homemade or best-quality store-bought tomato sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- Cook rice according to package instructions; cover, and keep warm.
- While rice is cooking, heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add curry powder and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, chickpeas, and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve stew with rice and yogurt, garnished with lime wedges and a pinch of curry.